“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:13-16 (NIV)
Read the verse above twice. Next, answer the questions below as you begin your week:
- What is the purpose of salt in terms of cooking?
- If you add salt to your food but it doesn’t affect the flavor, what would you do with that salt?
- What do you think it means when God says “you are the salt of the earth?”
- Is God asking us to blend in and do what everyone else is doing (on our job, in our neighborhood, etc.) or does He want us to stand out and make a difference?
- What is one thing that you can do at work this week to be the “salt of the earth?”
- What is one thing that you can do in your home this week to be the “salt of the earth?”