What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. James 4:1-2 (NIV)
The verse above points to the root cause of our struggles and unhappiness in relationships. We are very quick to blame the other person, highlighting their flaws and imperfections. But we are typically slow to admit our faults. If you have frustration or ongoing disagreements in your relationships, focus on what you need to correct within yourself. Use the questions below to study the verse above.
DISCOVERY BIBLE STUDY METHOD QUESTIONS
- What captured your attention?
- Did anything challenge you? Why?
- What do I learn about God?
- What do I learn about people?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there an action to avoid?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- With whom should I share this truth?