The purpose of tithing is to teach you to always put God first in your lives. Deuteronomy 14:23 (TLB)
Let’s establish a basic principle in this post – God does not need what you have. God, the creator of heaven and earth, doesn’t need your possessions. The Bible tells us that everything in the world already belongs to Him (Psalm 24:1). This is very important before we begin to talk about tithing. The word “tithe” means a tenth part (or 10% of your income) and is designed to teach you to always put God first in your life. Let’s be honest, there are all types of things competing for your attention such as television programs, professional sports and Black Friday promotions. Tithing is a means to remind you (despite all the distractions) to keep God first in your life. Use the questions below to study the verse above.
DISCOVERY BIBLE STUDY METHOD QUESTIONS
1. What captured your attention?
2. Did anything challenge you? Why?
3. What do I learn about God?
4. What do I learn about people?
5. Is there an example to follow?
6. Is there a command to obey?
7. Is there an action to avoid?
8. Is there a promise to claim?
9. With whom should I share this truth?