Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Ephesians 5:21 (NIV)
In marriage it’s important that both the husband and wife submit to each other. You can easily fall into the trap of wanting things your way. But when you operate in this manner it short-circuits God’s design for marriage. When you submit to the other person you are showing that they have value, their opinion counts, and this marriage isn’t all about me. Sure, it’s inconvenient to submit to your spouse, but this command from the Bible was designed for each spouse to meet the needs of the other person while simultaneously getting their needs met through their spouse. In short, you get your needs met through meeting their needs. Reflect on what you just read. Next, use the questions below to study the verse above.
DISCOVERY BIBLE STUDY METHOD QUESTIONS
- What captured your attention?
- Did anything challenge you? Why?
- What do I learn about God?
- What do I learn about people?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there an action to avoid?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- With whom should I share this truth?